The Laboratory for Verification & Validation (LVV) is one of the first openly accessible research facilities for vibration and acoustic testing across scales and climatic environments in the world.
The LVV is available for both short-term use and long-term partnerships, giving you easy access to our world class expertise and facilities. We offer services to those who wish to directly test their engineering structures and validate computer models. We have years of experience of collaborating with organisations that are keen to improve their people, products and services and where we can operate as part of your innovation process, creating new knowledge exchange relationships.
What can the LVV offer?
Our offering to industry includes:
- Testing and consultancy services
- Laboratory climate simulation or combined technologies
What are the benefits?
Model validation refers to the process of building credibility in the predictions of computer models based on comparison with experimental data. The development of new validation methods and test protocols will allow significantly larger portions of the structural design and test cycle to be carried out in a virtual / computational context. The use of computer modelling gives engineering companies key benefits including:
- Faster time-to-market by reducing the need to build and test prototypes.
- The ability to design more efficient, lower cost, products.
- Tools to design bespoke products which can be tailored to different requirements, without the need for time-consuming extensive product development.
- Design capabilities to create products with a longer life span via the modelling ability to accurately predict how and when failures will occur.
The LVV facility is led by the Dynamics Research Group within the University of Sheffield's Department of Mechanical Engineering. The group is already one of the largest specialist groups in the world; the LVV is driving forward collaborative research and cementing Sheffield’s position as a world leader in structural dynamics. As such, we can guarantee:
- A proven track record of research with a wide range of organisations
- World-class research expertise, from blue-sky thinking to applied research
- A dedicated team of professionals able to assess your business needs
- State-of-the-art equipment and facilities
- An unbiased knowledge-based partner
Operating at full scale and across climates and environments the research enabled by the LVV, in conjunction with the DRG, will address industry needs across multiple sectors, including:
- Transport (Automotive / Rail)
- Civil Infrastructure
- Energy (Offshore / Nuclear / Renewables)
- Medical Engineering
We would be happy to discuss your specific needs, to do so please visit the Contact Us page below.
For further information on the University of Sheffield's Dynamics Research Group please visit http://www.drg.ac.uk on the link below.